Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Make A Donation


I'm a regular blood donor. I'm not bothered by needles, I quite like lying down in the mobile unit in the Sainsbury's car park in Sydenham and getting 20 minutes or so of peace. I even quite like the tepid squash and digestive biscuit afterwards.
I do it because it's a good thing to do and blood stocks are always low. I don't do it because it takes 650 calories to replace that pint of blood. According to my Nike Plus that would take me about 12km to otherwise use up, that's about an hour and 15 minutes of running through the cold streets of Dulwich while the wind inflates my jacket. That's a Pizza Express Frutti Di Mare Pizza and a glass of wine, that's five large vodkas with tonic, that's four Mars Bar ice creams or a whole bottle of wine and a bag of Wotsits for free. Give Blood.

5 comments:

Kelly Innes said...

I like your thinking....

davyh said...

...I do too; it's the someone jabbing a spike into my arm and draining two pints of my blood into a bag bit I'm not so keen on, sadly.

Still, good on ya.

Silvana said...

Don't worry about the spike, think about the guilt-free vodakas!

James Franco said...

I would rather have the Wotsits.

Needles and me dont mix well.

It is a selfish reason for not doing it, but I am absolutely, irrationally scared of needles

The Divine Mrs M said...

I used to be scared of needles, but then I had children....