Friday, February 09, 2007

Records That Make Me Feel Good: 17

Davy Graham and Shirley Collins: Hares On The Mountain (Decca, 1965)
I was at the BBC Radio 2 Folk Awards the other night (with my great showbiz pals, The Pentangle, of whom more later) when I spotted my other great showbiz pal Shirley Collins over in the corner. I wanted to go and say hello and thank her again for the lovely sandwiches she made me when I travelled down to her house in East Sussex for an interview. But she was deep in conversation with someone a bit severe looking, so I grabbed another glass of the rather rough champagne on offer (Dear BBC, I was horrified by the poor quality hooch being given away at the etcetc) and spoke to Bill Oddie instead. It was that sort of evening.

Anyway, this is such an amazing track that I have to listen to it at least twice a week or I get the emotional bends. Davy plays incredible guitar and Shirley sings with a purity - despite the, frankly, lusty raunch of the lyrics - that is genuinely shocking. If you don't like it I can't be your friend. It's that simple. Having said that, if you don't like it and you've ploughed through all this crap to get there, you probably don't want to be my friend anyway.

So we're all happy.

Enjoy!

No comments: