Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Records That Make Me Feel Good: 19

Mariee Sioux: Icarus Eye (Names, 2007)

I've known Billy since I was about 19 and, even then, in the very bloom of my youth, he was about 11 times cooler than I could ever hope to have been. Perhaps unsurprisingly, he now runs the very cool Names label while I am a penny a line hack who spends a proportion of his time writing about how great various Names Records are.

And here we go again. Mariee Sioux is just, well, magical. She also stares at me from my desktop every day looking a bit severe and I respond well to severity.

Anyway, if the prospect of someone quite odd singing quite odd songs in a very beautiful way sounds like it might polish your inner child then help yourselves.

Go on. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Silvana said...

I beg your pardon? She stares out at you from your desktop everyday? You might want to have a little think about that arrangement before you come home tonight.

Rob said...

You see, I told you I respond well to severity...

Anonymous said...

I can't stop listening to this, she reminds a lot of the amazing HMS Ginafore.

Rob said...

i'm with you on that Steve. Alela and Mariee make up about 50% of my listening time at the moment...