Thursday, March 19, 2009

Aubergines Are For Girls?

I know it only takes a couple of days of sunshine and we want to light the barbecue and I know it's still only March but I have definitely noticed that the tomatoes and aubergines in the shops have started to look more plump, shiny and yes, summery.
I love aubergines but Robert doesn't. Not even in a curry. In fact I don't know a single man who doesn't really dislike aubergines except maybe my brother who wasn't given any choice. Perhaps I am wrong?

Melanzane al Forno
This is one of my favourite dishes of all time but I hardly ever make it because Robert won't eat it. It takes quite a lot of chopping and is not worth doing for just one aubergine so you need to really want it to go to the bother.
Serves 4
2 large, plump, shiny aubergines
1 thick slice of white bread, whizzed into crumbs
lots of chopped parsley
big handful of finely grated Parmesan
2 crushed garlic cloves
3 ripe tomatoes
1 egg, beaten
large pinch dried oregano

Preheat the oven to 200 / Gas 4. Halve the aubergines lengthways and scoop out the flesh with a tablespoon. Chop it finely and mix with the breadcrumbs, parsley, Parmesan and garlic. Finely chop one of the tomatoes and to the bowl along with the beaten egg and some seasoning.

Pile the mixture back into aubergine halves. Thinly slice the other two tomatoes and overlap on top. Season and sprinkle with oregano then bake for 40 - 45 minutes until nicely browned.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate aubergines! Hate hate hate 'em. Vile!
I bet yours are nice though ducky.

davyh said...

I like 'em, me.

Tony said...

Yes, Silvana I love aubergines. Think I'm going to make this tonight! Won't taste as nice as mum's but will do my best.Caponata is one of my favourite dishes.

BLTP said...

Love 'em never use to they have snuck up on me. Love 'em grilled with big mushrooms in a sarnie and also in one of those dippy sauce things from the middle east poor man's caviar do dah.

Simon said...

I'm a man and I like aubergines too! And if you believe this article, 'aubergine' is now the new male body shape ...

http://www.easier.com/view/Lifestyle/Beauty/Body_Care/article-208850.html

Unknown said...

I'm also a man who like aubergines. I think most men in this part of the world (middle east) do.

marty, sharon and pearl said...

hey vana - get you with your TV fan! mart loves aubergines too but we've always known he's in a league of his own eh? s x

Kathryn said...

I LOVE aubergines, and even more, I love the word MUCH better than our American "eggplant". This looks yummy and I can't wait to try it, I'm tired of only putting it in curries and baba ganouj!