Saturday, May 12, 2007

Mum's Roasted Peppers

I cook lots of dishes that my mum taught me as I was growing up but they never taste the same as hers. I don't know why this is. Roasted peppers are so simple with so few variables yet my version looks quite different to hers (as seen above) and tastes completely different. Obviously, Mum's are by far the best.

Grill some whole peppers of mixed colours under a medium grill until the skin is blackened and the peppers have softened and collapsed. Leave to cool a bit (covering with a tea towel gathers a bit of steam which softens the skin and makes peeling easier) then slit the peppers and squeeze the juices into a bowl. Skin and seed the warm peppers then cut into strips and add to the bowl with a bit of chopped garlic and parsley, salt and a slosh of good olive oil. Leave to cool to room temperature. After we've eaten our pasta, Mum puts these out on the table with the meat and other salads.

1 comment:

Tony said...

Yes - mine are never as nice as mum's peppers. I quite fancy some now...