Sunday, October 28, 2007

Hello New Thing, Hello Other New Thing

Patrick Watson: The Great Escape (Secret City Records, 2007)
My friend Anthony - who knows about these things - kept telling me I really needed to listen to Patrick Watson and I kept holding the phone away from my ear and going "blah blah blah blah blah blah" while he did so as a) I'm hilarious and b) actually there isn't a b. Anyway, he was right and I was deeply, stupidly wrong (no change etcetc) as this is really good. Not a million miles from Anthony & Ver Johnsons - who are in the aces, but a little too intense for everyday pleasure. If you like the first 5 seconds of this you will like all of it. Hurray for Anthony. His book's good too.


The Weakerthans: Civil Twilight (Burning Heart Records, 2007)
I wrote something nice (scroll down) about the 'Thans a long time ago (it got mangled by someone sadly, so now it reads like I'm a mental) and now they have come back to haunt me. So, to recap, they are clever and they are from Canada and this is a very nice record indeed. Anyway, if you like seriously-old-enough-to-know-better geeks being arch (only with fantastic tunes) then - hey! - this is the band for you. And me, clearly.

Enjoy...

1 comment:

rach said...

Patrick Watson is seriously good - saw him supporting the Cinematic Orchestra at the Sage Gateshead, and he blew them off the stage...