Monday, June 02, 2008

Is This The Greatest Record Ever Made?

Keith Mansfield & Salena Jones: Am I The Same Girl (Soulful Strut) (CBS, 1970)
No, probably not. But, my goodness it's close. Proof, if proof were needed, that some of the best funk records ever made are put together by slightly nerdy white people from Slough, here's Mansfield's brass 'n' breakbeat monster from the days when Saturday Night TV meant The Three Degrees dodging slightly off-colour remarks from Hughie Green. I don't have empirical evidence, but I have a feeling this (or a version of) might have been sampled on Pete Rock and CL Smooth's One In A Million. So, a choon then. Much more of this sort of thing here...

8 comments:

Fire Escape said...

The Barbara Acklin original is better, I reckon. Proof that Eugene Record was a pretty special songwriter at least..

davyh said...

Bloody marvellous!

rockmother said...

That is indeed a big choon - I'm sure Tribe Called Quest have sampled a tiny bit of that somewhere too.

marmiteboy said...

i'd have to agree with Fireescape there Rob. Surely one of the greatest Northern tunes ever.

Rob said...

FE: Good point, well made. The Dusty Springfield version is also Quite Nice.
DH: Oh yes - thought you might like this.
RM: You might well be right...
MB: You'll hear no argument from me.

Mondo said...

Here's some similar bits I'm buzzing on at the moment

Souls Of Mischief - From 93 Till Infinity which stealthily samples Billy Cobham's Heather.

And DJ Z Trip Is It All About The Music?- which is a pure belter

Rob said...

Hey PM: That Souls tune is one of my all-time favourites - 15 years on and I still love it as much as ever!

Mondo said...

Rob - have you got the Souls Instrumentals album too, well worth a pop - check Google Blogsearch to get it on the 'freemans'