Tuesday, February 06, 2007

New Music Tuesdays: 1

The Waterboys: You In The Sky (14th Floor promo, 2007)

I shouldn't be doing this (and if 14th Floor / Mike Scott wants it removed then email me) and I ummed and aahhed about it a lot. But I've been sitting on this (not literally, no) album for about a month or so and I still play it two or three times a day. And, in my "game", that's an awful lot of plays.

As beautifully drawn and performed as anything the band have ever done, You In The Sky comes right near the end of Book..., an album which, as far as I can make out, appears to be about meeting someone nice, falling quite hard for them, being extremely happy for a bit, falling out with them, feeling more than a bit mis about it, and then getting the hell over it.

And isn't that all the best pop music in a neat little nutshell?

Enjoy!

7 comments:

Silvana said...

Robert! You're going to get into trouble. Is that album even out yet?

Anonymous said...

I never liked The Waterboys. But this is good. Nearly, nearly, Del Amitri good!!
You like Guided By Voices too I recall, yes? Another band I snubbed due to their awful name. emusic has just put all their albums up. Where should a young man start with them?

Rob said...

Do I sense a whiff of sarcasm, Ben? "Del Amitri good" suggests it's actually really bad (although, Del Amitri's Nothing Ever Happens is a great record). As for GBV, I honestly don't think I've ever heard a single on of their records. They were the sort of band you HAD TO LIKE when I wrote for Melody Maker which sort of put me off them (and SFA and Divine Comedy and Foo Fighters ectectetc) for ever.

Anonymous said...

Ah. I'll email Daniel Booth, then.
x

Anonymous said...

Also I remember now. You like the other band I made a name-snub to. Red House Painters...

Rob said...

Ben! Now I know who you are. It's a real pleasure to have you here....but say another word about the Painters and I'll be round yours with a length of rubber piping....

Anonymous said...

I think you ought to post the whole album! Seriously!