Sunday, September 09, 2007

Street Party!

As a child I remember there being quite a few occasions that called for a street party. The best one of course, was the Queen's Silver Jubilee in 1977 when I must have gone to a dozen parties. But when was the most recent celebration that got everyone out on the street? They don't seem to happen. Is it because we don't know our neighbours? Can't we be bothered? Or are there too many public highway regulations?

We had our fourth annual street party at the mews where I work yesterday. It was great! I love the sense of community spirit that saw everyone producing a bag of charcoal, a couple of chairs or a tray of brownies. As the children went home for their baths, the tea lights got lit and the music turned up and there was a second sitting for the barbecues.
I wish there were more to go to! Bring back the street party!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too feel a little liverish but it was a great afternoon, thanks very much!


geh & squillion

Anonymous said...

We've got one on 29 September. I think we've overegged the pudding somewhat though....we've got about thirty roast chickens promised....

Jon Peake said...

We had a great one for the Silver Jubilee. All sitting their there in our Union Jack boaters tucking into cakes and sausages. But I've not seen anything like it since. I'm not sure I'd want one round our way. The fact that I don't know my neighbours is neither here nor there.

londonlee said...

Monty Modlyn showed up at our Silver Jubilee street party with a camera crew.

It was the first time I ever got drunk too - on two pints of lager.