Monday, October 27, 2008

Mellow Rating: High

Django Reinhardt: I Cover The Waterfront (Columbia, 1953)
I love this bit of information about "Django" - he was actually called Jean - that I learned off of the intranot this morning: "... After returning to France, Django spent the remainder of his days re-immersed in gypsy life, having found it difficult to adjust to the modern world. He would sometimes show up for concerts without a guitar or amp, or wander off to the park or beach, and on a few occasions he refused even to get out of bed. Reinhardt was known by his band, fans, and managers to be extremely unpredictable. He would often skip sold-out concerts to simply "walk to the beach" or "smell the dew"..." Sure, that might prove annoying if you and your beloved planned on seeing him knock out the tunes at Le Grosse Pamplemousse, or woteva, but, what a legacy...

Much more of this sort of thing here...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I watched Alan Yentob's programme on guitars and was amazed to discover that Reinhardt only had the use of two fingers on his left hand, having been seriously injured in a fire in his caravan as a child. All those dazzling runs were produced with just the index and middle fingers in use in your picture.

marmiteboy said...

The word genius is too easily bandied about. I Django's case I think the discription is wholly warranted.

dulwichmum said...

I know exactly where he is coming from. I find it incredibly difficult to even keep up with the modern world. Oh how the au pair laughs when I ask her if she is off to the disco with her chums... How do you actually get your muzac on an Ipod anyway?

OHMYGOD, I may try to immerse myself in Gypsy life too, it sounds so very gently. Is there anywhere for a girl to plug in her straightening iron?

Rob said...

Hi Ken: He was kind of an amazing fellow, wasn't he?
MB: *Gravitas*
DM: I can see you on a gaily-painted caravan, plaits a-flowing, impressive horses clip-clopping in front of you...