Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Wanted: Local Sloes

Have you tried sloe gin? My word, it's the best thing ever! Our friend Ronnie gave us a bottle he'd made last year and we drank it with our plum crumble at the weekend. AMAZING!
I've got my recipe and I know the sloes are about ready for picking but I can't find any apart from a couple of sparse bushes in Crystal Palace Park. Who knows where the sloes are? Quickly, before I buy a case of the stuff that calls out to me every time I go to Sainsburys (that's twice a day).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't even know what a sloe looks like (plummy?) I'm afraid but I have to tell you that I couldn't wait until the weekend to make the crumble (comfort eating) and it's in the oven now bubbling away and I literally can't wait to try some! and it's mine, all mine!

BLTP said...

S: You were in the right place at the weekend! I got some last year in sydenham park the entrance near sydenham the posh estate side. That aside it's been a poor year no sun no berries. I wrote about it the otherday here http://living4pleasurealone.blogspot.com/2008/09/sloe-drinking-weekend.html
there's the link to my favourite website "Sloebiz" which may have some clues.

BLTP said...

sloe update: sorry I meant sydenham place park the ravensbourne station part

Anonymous said...

Too late. I have taken them all for my personal supply. Hic

Fiona Beckett said...

Can't help with finding sloes (wrong area) but agree how yummy they are - really fab with Stilton too as an alternative to port. Bramley & Gage make a very good one - and a damson gin too.

Silvana said...

Not only can I not get any sloes, I can't get damsons either. Very upset about it I am.