Thursday, March 13, 2008

Aunty Anna's Biscuits

My mum finally got Aunty Anna to hand over the recipe for her special nut biscuits. They're very hard and not all that great on their own but brilliant dipped into coffee.

3 glasses of almonds or peanuts, toasted and coarsely ground
4 glasses of plain flour
11/2 glasses of caster sugar
3 eggs + 1 yolk
1 glass of groundnut oil
grated rind of 1 lemon
2 tsp baking powder

Mix all together, roll into cherry-sized balls, place on a baking sheet, well spaced apart. Bake at 190C / Gas 5 for 10 minutes or so until golden brown. Leave to cool and store in an air-tight tin.

5 comments:

Kelly Innes said...

I know what I'm going to do today.....

BLTP said...

but where can you get the paper that you set a light and it goes up in the air. My dad whose in his second childhood seemingly,likes the paper as much as the bicuits!

Tony said...

I remember these....

Silvana said...

Hi Bltp. The biscuits with the wrappers you can set fire to are the original Amaretti biscuits. It always seems that they're going to burn away then suddenly, whoosh, they fly up to the ceiling!
Anthony, I look forward to trying your version when I see you next week! x

Tony said...

Made some today. Rather nice. A bit big though. Should have made them a bit smaller.