Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Bakewell Tart

Bakewell tart is nothing like the real Bakewell Pudding it is derived from. Though I am from Derbyshire, even I will admit that the tart is much nicer, really, than its flabby ancestor. In the Anchor & Hope, they do a very good one with damson jam in it.

Serves 10
300g sweet or regular shortcrust pastry
100g unsalted butter, softened
3 large eggs, beaten
1/2 jar good red jam
125g golden caster sugar
1/2 tsp almond or vanilla extract
150g ground almonds
25g flaked almonds
vanilla ice cream, to serve

Preheat the oven to 190°C, gas 5. Line a deep 20cm tart tin with the pastry and chill for a bit, if you have time. Line with parchment, fill with baking beans and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the baking beans and parchment and return to the oven for 5 minutes until lightly golden and set.

Cool a little then spread the jam over the pastry. Turn the oven down to 180°C, gas mark 4.

Beat the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy. Begin adding the eggs, a little at a time then stir in the almond extract and the ground almonds. Spoon the mixture over the jam and level it out with the back of a spoon.

Sprinkle over the flaked almonds. Return the tart to the oven for 30–35 minutes until golden and just set. Leave to cool a while before getting out of the tin.

6 comments:

BLTP said...

I'm glad it wasn't just me not like the pud they make actually in bakewell; I was a bit underwhelmed, is this the wrong place to say that I like mr kipling's ones with too much icing on (as well as the proper ones like in your recipe).

Silvana said...

Too much icing is always nice, but I do draw the line at Mr Kipling's

BLTP said...

what even french fancies!?

Silvana said...

Ok, maybe I do really, really like his French Fancies. But that's all!

Nunhead Mum of One said...

Oh yum, I know what I'm doing on Saturday! And now I really want a French Fancie.....

Tony said...

do you go the Anchor and Hope every week?