Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Chocolate Cheesecake














Yes, I have a hangover. Yes, I have made a pudding for my lunch.

Serves 8
200 g pack stem ginger biscuits
50 g butter, melted
150g bar Green & Blacks Organic Cooking chocolate
3 x 250g tubs mascarpone
125 g light brown muscovado sugar
2 tbsp cornflour
3 large eggs
extra thick single cream, to serve

1 Preheat the oven to 180C, gas mark 4. Place the cookies in a strong plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin. Tip into a large bowl and stir in the melted butter until evenly mixed.

2 Tip the crumb mixture into a 23cm non-stick, spring-form cake tin, pressing down firmly with the back of a spoon. Place in the fridge to chill for 5 or 10 minutes.

3 Meanwhile, gently melt the chocolate over a pan of simmering water or in a microwave then leave to cool a little.

4 Place the mascarpone, sugar, cornflour and eggs in a large bowl and beat with an electric whisk until smooth. Whisk in the cooled melted chocolate. Pour into the prepared tin, level the surface and place on a baking sheet and cook for 45 minutes until risen – it will still feel a little wobbly but will set as it cools.

5 Turn off the oven, open the door and leave the cheesecake until completely cool. Chill until ready to eat it then turn out of the tin, cut into wedges and serve with cream.

16 comments:

Rob said...

*orders bike*

Rob said...

A quick question: when you say you've made "a pudding for my lunch", do you mean you're having just pudding?

Silvana said...

Yes. Chocolate pudding. It's making me feel better. All your fault anyway.

Rob said...

*nods*

Anonymous said...

oooh...this looks so sinful and delicious. I'll have to make it for my better half. He loves chocolate cake and cheese cake.

James Franco said...

I don't think I know of a better lunch.
Hoorah for Silvana. I can be there in 3 hours, save some for me.

Anonymous said...

please could you consider setting up a pudding delivery business and and send a large slice over to SE21? now?

Anonymous said...

Oh this looks sooo good I really wish I could eat it now. May I post the recipe on my facebook page for my friends to see?

I live in Italy not England, so I might have a problem using ginger biscuits (however I'm thinking that Ikea do them ) Could I use anything else if not? Also could you tell me the % of Cacao in Green & Blacks so I can find a substitute.

I love this blog Silvana & Rob, I have been following it for a few months now. Keep it up!

Grazie

Claire Cotton

Silvana said...

Glad you all like!

Claire, you are very welcome to use the recipe on Facebook. Any good dark chocolate would do - I'd recommend a cocoa content of 50 - 70%. The ginger biscuits work well with the chocolate but it's not essential, regular digestives would be fine.

Fraser said...

I made this last night, and devoured a couple of slices for breakfast. It was really quite delicious. Thank you.

Jon Peake said...

Please open a restaurant. I only live in Battersea.

Silvana said...

Fraser, that's really great! I'm delighted you made and enjoyed it. Pudding for breakfast!

Five-centres - I could never open a restaurant, far too much hard work. But thank you. You going to make this? Easy and yummy

Claire- you know, Amaretti or any almond biscuit would do very well as a base for this cheesecake

BLTP said...

do you need to cook the cake surrounded by a pan of water like you do for some other cheese cakes, mine have split before now, it's not a big problem nothing a bit of cream can't hide, looks delish. Also I have baked the biscuit base before now for 5 mins to stop it going soft.

Silvana said...

Bltp - the added cornflour stablises the mixture and stops splitting but yes, the base does get a bit soft after a few hours in the fridge. Email me your cheesecake recipe! landcrofthouse@hotmail.co.uk

BLTP said...

will do it's an amalgum (much like cheesecake) of sophie grigson, Nigella and Delia recipes! I only make them on high days and holidays as you need 15 people to justify the concentration of cheese and sugar.

Anonymous said...

Its a shame Green and Blacks is now wholey owned by Caduburys