Friday, August 31, 2007

Hello Old Thing, Hello New Thing: 23

Gene Vincent: Crazy Beat (Capitol, 1963)
I think it's safe to say that poor old Gene was familiar with this when recording this little beauty in 1963. In 1:58 seconds he takes the Otis Blackwell and Eddie Cooley tune to a whole new level, stripping away whole sections of jazz-bo niceness and inserting fresh teen-rock blood. I stole this wholesale from this excellent compilation put together by Andrew Weatherall, of putting records on, playing them, then taking them off while putting another one on, fame.


Dooley O: I Don't Want To Lose You (Lewis Recordings, 2007)
Now we're on the subject of drawing inspiration, I would stick my neck out and suggest that Dooley O has, in his whole life, run into not only this (and, by the way, how amazing does that still sound?), but this ker-lassic too. But that's a good thing, right, as what Dooley's done here is produce the sort of hip hop record that you thought no one was making any more - ie lyrically pointed, genuinely witty and hip-threateningly rambunctious. The good people at Lewis clearly know what they're doing.

En-joy...

7 comments:

Fire Escape said...

of putting records on, playing them, then taking them off while putting another one on, fame
So that's how he did it. I knew the excuse for Screamadelica had to be something really stupid.

Rob said...

simple when you think about it, isn't it?

Fire Escape said...

So simple that even I have managed to get away with it. It's with a warm, nostalgic glow and a proud swelling of the breast that I distinctly remember turning to a packed house after a blistering set by The Shaven Voles, shouting "hello, Upstairs At The Garage!" and "dropping" Pristine Christine. For the next hour, it was as if The Fonz was hitting the jukebox every three minutes. Yeah, that good. Only with fewer chicks.

Rob said...

*nods sagely* I've played Upstairs At The Garage too! what a venue
*sighs*

Fire Escape said...

I've pretty much done London's 150 capacity venues. Apart from Upstairs at the Garage, some fools have let me play records at the Water Rats, Betsy Trotwood, Luminaire and Notting Hill Arts Club. No one has been foolish enough to pay me, although I did get some free beer once.

Rob said...

me and my good pal Billy used to play The Albany as Pot Roast (named because we played on a Sunday - hilarious, no?). Sometimes we went home with 15 or 2o pounds between us!

BLTP said...

Young upstarts, me and my mate were rocking our local village scouts under 16 disco to mighty sounds of Tarzan Boy by Balitmore, Whitney Houston amd rather pleasingly "every on do the Len Ganley stance" by HMHB years ago. Anyone can get pissed students to dance try getting truculent northern tweenies to stay on the dance floor on nothing stronger than polar pop and wheat crunchies ;)