Thursday, August 30, 2007

Le Chandelier

Have you seen what's happened to that old antiques shop on Lordship Lane? You know, next door to Cafe Noodle. Well they've kept the name, all the chandeliers and some of the furniture and turned it into a proper, wonderful French-style Salon de Thé. Me and Scrap popped in after work yesterday at about 6pm and had a delightful time. He had a chocolate tart (£3.15), a glass of bubbly water (£1.20) and I had a pot of lovely Yellow Gold Oolong tea (£4). There's a choice of about 30 teas and a good selection of pastries, cakes and fresh tarts and cream cakes. They also do sandwiches (William Rose's bacon sandwich in their own sourdough bread!) and some salads and best of all, they are open until 10pm. I was very pleased with our choices until a women walked through the door a few minutes later with a similar aged son. "I'll have a glass of Champagne", she said, "and a glass of juice for him". Yes, they also have a licensed bar. I missed an opportunity there didn't I with my fancy pot of tea. And they gave her a little dish of salty nuts too. Sigh.

4 comments:

BLTP said...

"salon de The" being more aspirational than a "tea room" tee hee. Sounds excellent, I much rather have a fancy tea shop than some poxy chain coffee place. I imagine the difference is if whether they sell rock buns or not.

Jon Peake said...

Why can't Battersea be more like Dulwich? Sigh.

Silvana said...

I'll come clean now before someone grasses me up. Tonight, Robert was working late and I asked one of the dads (a friend) at Scrap's nursery if he would would like to come out for a glass of wine and that perhaps the boys might like a tiny cake before bath time. Then I called some friends who live across the road and they joined in too. So glad, a lovely chilled glass of Prosecco, just £3.25! A tea shop where the fizz is cheaper than the tea!

BLTP said...

Booze cheaper than tea it's stuff that Daily Express headlines are made of and also maybe the reason for the previous post . *buys ticket to Peckham sorry East Dulwich!*