Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Pot Roast Lamb

A bit like cooking lamb shanks but using a whole leg...

Serves 6
whole leg of lamb, at room temperature
500ml cider
100ml cider or wine vinegar
1 tbsp brown sugar
few thyme sprigs
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 red onion, thinly sliced or a handful of whole shallots
cheesy mash and roasted carrots, to serve

1 Preheat the oven to 170C, Gas 3. Place the lamb in a large roasting tin and add the cider, vinegar, sugar, thyme, garlic and red onion. And some salt and pepper.
2 Cover with a lid or foil and cook for 5 hours until the lamb meat is very tender.
3 Carefully lift the lamb out of the pan and leave to rest for 5 – 10 minutes. Carve and serve with the cider gravy.

7 comments:

marmiteboy said...

Wow, lovely, it's just the thing for a winters evening. I think I'll have mine with champ though.

Silvana said...

Oh yes, champ would be yum

Rob said...

well, i'm eating the last bit of it now and champ, cheesey mash, roasts, whatever - it's DELICIOUS!

Little Johnny Jewel said...

Great.



Now I'm REALLY hungry.

Anonymous said...

Your blog is really nice and interesting. I found a refrence to an interview with Brett Anderson that you made (http://landcrofthouse.blogspot.com/2007/02/pop-stars-who-are-nice-1.html), and I would like you to send me the whole interview or put it in your blog. Can you do this, please?

Anonymous said...

I found this same recipe on the Waitrose site in August 2007. It even has the same picture! Who copied who?

http://www.waitrose.com/recipe/Pot_Roast_Lamb_in_Cider.aspx

Silvana said...

I wrote that recipe for Waitrose. A few weeks after they published it in their magazine, I put in on our blog. Admittedly, I did nick their picture...