Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Roast Onions and Bacon

I did a food photo shoot for a magazine in Dulwich Woods yesterday. While it was a logistical nightmare with the heavy props, camera equipment, models and all my food not to mention the freezing cold, patchy sunlight and having to wee in the bushes - it was so enjoyable! The keepers of the woods let us light a small fire to cook our sausages on and it's made me quite desperate for a week of autumnal camping. Still not got a tent though..


As I only had a fire in the woods, I did most of the cooking on Sunday and turned some of the onions and bacon I was roasting for tarts into a lovely side dish for our lunch. Place some shallots or small onions (I used some pretty red borretanes from Sains) in a large bowl and cover with a kettle of boiling water. Leave to cool so the skins soften and then peel them. Drizzle a little oil in a shallow baking sheet and add the shallots and few whole, unpeeled garlic cloves. Lay rashers of dry-cure streaky bacon on top and roast at 200C/Gas 6 for 8 - 10 minutes until the bacon is nicely cooked. Lift off the bacon then season the onions with salt, pepper and some fresh thyme sprigs. Continue roasting for 20 - 30 minutes until the onions are browned and softened. Snap the bacon into pieces and mix with the onions then drizzle over a splash of balsamic vinegar. Very good with a roast chicken.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Dulwich woods too. I can't believe they agreed to let you light a fire. Surely a hazard at this time of year?

Anonymous said...

a bit of charm and very sensible grown ups and its amazing what you can achieve. Never met you claire but you do sound very sensible too. We love the woods and would never burn it down. Captured it in its glory with beautiful pictures to be featured in an issue of Delicous magazine this time next year ! a x

Silvana said...

Thanks Claire - we got proper permission but remember, it is against the rules to light fires in the woods.

Thanks Angela - I didn't post any of the actual recipes from the feature so I hope I'm not in trouble.

Heidi said...

so you sort of marked your territory, just like our Donut when she runs in the woods?

Rob said...

bacon and donuts - yum!

Anonymous said...

Please do not consider camping until at least next May. It would be far too cold and although it does sound very romantic with lanterns and candles etc. you must remember what a light weight camper you are!

Silvana said...

Yes, Maria, you are right, nice idea but I'd cry if I had to sleep in a damp bed.