Friday, April 06, 2007

Katz's Deli

So on our last day, Robert went off to do his interview and I trotted about on Fifth Avenue looking for a gift for Jackie's new baby daughter. We met up again and set off for NY's oldest deli Katz's (thanks for recommendation Dis). It's been there since 1888 and is positioned in the Lower East Side which is not the nicest part of town.

Anyway, it's quite a joint. It's jam-packed with locals who all know the drill - one ticket per person, left side for service, right side to queue at the bar, give ticket to cashier on way out. We chose a soup each (Rob the chicken noodle and me the chicken matzo ball) then shared a giant pastrami on rye with pickles. It was fantastic.



Unfortunately, I lost my ticket which turned out to be almost a criminal offence with a fine of $50, in the end, the server told me to leave him a good tip on the table and he'd see what he could do. I left $10 and he slipped me the dodgy ticket and we were allowed to leave. Go there, it's amazing but don't let go of your ticket.

No comments: