Friday, November 10, 2006

Bloc party: Who knew?

OK, loads of people knew. But I've thought of them as the sort of moaning indie-types I could happily live without.

Well, that was, until now. I got this mucked about with mp3 player in the post yesterday. It has their new album on it. And here's the kicker, it's really, really good. It's romantic and scared and proud, it revels in hangovers and new love and all those sorts of things that, say, The Smiths used to do (apart from the hangovers).

There's a track called Kreuzberg that is particularly good. I get the feeling singer and songwriter Kele Okereke is really trying to tell us something - can you guess what it might be? - but whether the legendary grump is willing to reveal it remains to be seen.

I'd post one, but a) the record label would have me killed before lunchtime and b) I can't work out to get the tracks off (NOT THAT I WOULD ANYWAY WICHITA PEOPLE BECAUSE I WAS JOKING, THANKS).

No comments: